Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sir David on Kiwi's

For my graduation my parents gave me something I've wanted for years: the complete Life Collection by David Attenborough. Over seventy-two hours of Sir David's soothing voice, telling us all about the wonders of nature. And even the box is pretty.


I've watched all episodes of Life of Birds by now and it really is a wonderful series. The BBC happens to have put all the episodes on Youtube as well, so I can share some of my favorite parts!


I love this bit about the kiwi. Because you can't see its wings and tail it has a very peculiar shape for a bird and it moves in such an odd, but quite elegant way too.
I also saw a bit of Attenborough: 60 Years in the Wild where he discusses the advance of wildlife filming techniques. He also talked about the filming of the kiwi. He was a bit worried that the kiwi would be disturbed by his presence, but since kiwis rely mainly on their sense of smell and David was lying in heaps of rotting seaweed it didn't even seem to notice him! He could also hear the little noises of the kiwi clearing his nostrils every time. Oh, I wish I could have been there...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...